I got around to washing and cutting the shirts that I picked up from the thrift store. There were 5 men's 100% cotton shirts ranging in sizes from medium to XL. They cost $3.25 each, so that's $16.25 total, but I got the equivalent yardage of about 10-12 fat quarters, so I think I came out ahead (the XL was the same price as a small. Bigger size = more yardage!) Here's how I prepared the shirts to use as fabric.
Cut off the sleeves, removing the cuffs.
Follow along the seams and remove the front pieces.
Finally, cut off the back piece. When you're done, you should have a pile of scraps left over, made up of collar, yoke, cuffs and button plackets. Put these in the scrap basket. You never know what might come in handy. I have plans for those cuffs. To see more detailed instructions on how to cut and sew a quilt using men's shirts go visit here. With seven shirts she had enough for a quilt, backing and binding. Who knew.
This is my new stack of "His" fabric. They are sooo soft!
I could not find any women's 100% cotton shirts that I liked, so I retrieved some "Hers" fabric from my stash.
So far I've used up the fronts, and some of the sleeves, cutting mostly 3 1/2 inch squares. I'm saving the bigger pieces (backs) for later.
If your shirts have pockets, you can pick them off, cut around them, or add them in like I did with the green fabric below. I think it adds some personality!
Scrappy and no directions in sight. My favorite kind of quilt. More to come : )