This started out to be a quilt. I would have needed 36 squares, but somehow along the way it turned into a table runner. Not because I didn't want to put the time in ( I have 2 quilt tops ready to quilt right now, so I'm not afraid to go there.), but because IT WANTED to be a table runner.
I'm glad I did. It was just the right size to include some hand quilting, which I never do with a full size quilt.
I put together log cabin blocks of random strip width and squared them up to 8". There are 10 blocks total, five are cool colors, five are warm colors. I wanted a flat table runner so I did not use batting, but added a piece of quilters cotton in between the top and backing to give it more weight. I also did not bind it, but layered everything, sewed it together leaving an opening to turn it right side out. The stitching was a long running stitch using Caron Wildflowers floss in Tobacco and Peacock. I did not use a thimble or hoop, just plopped it on my lap and went for it. When all the hand stitching was complete, I top stitched on the machine 1/4" from the edge all around. It measures 44 x 21.5, and I love it!
I'm glad it's done because now I can concentrate more on this....