Sunday, April 12, 2015

Weekend

Such a nice weekend.  Coffee outside in the early morning wearing a sweatshirt over my pajamas,  slippers damp from walking through the grass.  Then, after breakfast head out to the garden to clean up winter's leavings, the earth still cool, but the sun warm on the back of my neck. Clearing out more yard for more garden. Maybe grapes this year, or pumpkins and cantaloupes.
The door to the garden shed is flung wide, and I have to wave the handle of the rake in front of me to break up the spider webs before I step inside. Pots and tools and garden knick knacks I haven't seen since the fall are new to me again.
The roses are so lush, the bushes so heavy, that their blooms dip down toward the ground as if the scent and beauty are too much to bear. We work all afternoon, until someone runs to town for cheeseburgers, and we eat in the garden under the umbrella, admiring our progress.

My niece had her baby.  A beautiful little girl with pink skin and a rosebud mouth who came into the world with her eyes wide open.  That's the way to do it.  The labor was long, (2 days!) but calm and quiet, and we all went to bed that night happy that the waiting was over and everyone was fine.
The rest of the weekend was spent reading through gardening books, sewing yards of binding, and watching baseball on TV.  I made the mistake of starting this book on Saturday night, and the next thing I knew it was midnight and I was in very very deep. I am a sucker for historical anything, but especially if it involves the British monarchy.
I want to sew, and sew and sew.  There are so many things I want to make, so I write a list, then lose it, then make new lists. Gardening or sewing? How about sewing in the garden?  There just aren't enough hours in the weekend.




8 comments:

  1. your weekend looks pieceful.. I understand about crafting or gardening !! I often do both and I'm knitting or crocheting in my garden .... I need hours in the garden in the sun !!! Have a sunny and warm week ....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is that a kangaroo paw I see there?! No, there are never enough hours in a weekend! Especially when there are so many sewing projects to make!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post summed up my Sunday to a T. I skipped the wet slippers though ; )
    I'm so excited for my little garden this year. I'm not sure why. I wandered around the garden centre and just enjoyed everything so much. It's early yet, but I planted a few things. A precious new baby! How wonderful. Looking forward to seeing what you are binding....

    ReplyDelete
  4. There never is enough hours. The gardening is very therapeutic though. We haven't done nearly enough where we live now. Lots of ideas for the future and then nothing ever gets done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. New babies, sun, gardening, sewing, reading and enjoying your weekend, it sounds perfect to me.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my, yes. Beautifully written. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That was almost poetic! A lovely way to start my morning! Congrats on becoming a great aunt!

    ReplyDelete

You guys are awesome! Thank you for the comments!