Thursday, February 21, 2013

Mermaid tea cozy

I'm getting near the end of my Heather Ross mermaid fabric.  There are only a few little scraps left.

 Yesterday, I stayed in my sewing room, drinking tea, sucking on cough drops and trying desperately to breathe through my nose.  I decided to sew a tea cozy to take my mind off my plugged sinuses.  I used the quilt as you go patchwork process again.  Love it.  It's like creating your own fabric.
 First I made two large rectangles of patchwork for front and back, fussy cutting a mermaid for each side. Then I cut out my tea cozy pattern, and sewed them together.  I lined it with a pink calico.
See that little button just above?  It's covering up a hole I made in my fabric as I was snipping all the little stray threads. Grrrr.  Oh well.
After the tea cozy was finished,  I still felt like poo, so I started a project I could work on laying down in bed.  Thanks to Jane Brocket and her book The Gentle Art of Stitching, I am now making one million yo-yos.  
I know this is going to turn into one of those projects where you start out all excited with dreams of sewing/ crocheting / knitting an amazingly huge Quilt/ Afghan/ Patio Cover or whatever, and you end up with a cushion.  Who cares.  I can do it laying down.


9 comments:

  1. Hope you feel better soon! Love the tea cosy! I adore Jane but I haven't seen this book yet...... Happy yo yo ing :-) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. How lovely!! I too am bunged up! Crochet ripple blanket is very soothing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw. I hope you are feeling better soon.
    Your tea cozy is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your little tea cozy. It's so pretty. Sorry you are not feeling well. Get better soon! Go spray down your sewing machine with Lysol before you go in there again. Ha-ha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your tea cozy is darling! Hope you feel better soon! I am still congested and coughing!!!
    Ugh!
    XO Kris

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you will be well soon.
    I like your teacosy, and a yoyo would look good on the "hole" also.
    Wonder what you are up to with all the yoyos, I have some that are waiting to be worked on in my sewing room.
    KATRIN W.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like you could use some tea right about now. Lovely cozy! Lovely yo-yos, too. Keep them piling up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hehe, I love your philosophy of being able to make something laying down. I totally get where you're coming from :) I hope you feel better soon!

    P.S. I found your blog via Happy Little Cottage :)

    x V

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love you tea cozy and your yo yo's are adorable too!!Hope you are feeling better today!!

    ReplyDelete

You guys are awesome! Thank you for the comments!