Monday, October 15, 2012

If you build it.........

One of the nice things about living on a few acres is having the option to do something with all your property, or not.  We fall into the "or not" category.  It's just nice to have the space, hear the coyotes howl, the hawks screech and pick some wild blackberries.
 Years ago, when my son was about 8, my husband wanted to build a baseball field out back, and he started putting together a backstop.  But my son grew faster than the project, and soon it was apparent that he and his friends were strong enough to hit baseballs into the cow pasture (our neighbor) and the chicken coop (ours).  The project was scrapped.   Until this year.
My son gathered his friends together and picked up where my husband left off.  
They really did a good job.  Of course they were fueled by tons of pizza and soda.  I think my husband was glad to see his idea finally turn into a reality. They finished  just before my son's 18th birthday.  My husband set up some temporary sprinklers and watered the heck out of the field.  Two weeks later, we had a party which included swimming, barbecue, and a Wiffle ball game.  Despite all the room out there, it is still not a good setting for a regular hardball game.
The birthday boy had a good time!
With all of that out of the way, I'm still plugging along on my scrap quilt.......
And after spending about 2 million dollars on cat toys for the new kitten, she has decided that this is her favorite toy of all.......
The cord to the window blinds.  Didn't cost me a penny.  Figures.
 Thanks for stopping by today and letting me share my little corner of the world!

11 comments:

  1. I smiled the entire time I read your post! Your baseball field is awesome! How much fun!! Wiffle ball is the perfect solution! :o)
    And your sweet kitty ... awww ... too cute! I smiled even bigger when you mentioned the amount of toys you have and how much he would rather just play with the blinds cord! It use to be, I would pick up our children's toys before company came ... now it is our kitty toys. :o)
    Your scrap quilt is gorgeous! Is there a name of the pattern you are using?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope your son had a wonderful birthday. I bet your very popular having your own baseball field at home.
    Your scrap quilt looks gorgeous.
    I had to laugh at your kitten. It reminded me of when my son was little and received a ride on racing car. Did he climb on it and ride. NO he played with the box.
    Have a lovely week.
    Ali x

    ReplyDelete
  3. What wonderful family time!! I am so tempted to try your scrap blocks! I've already started 36 patch blocks so maybe for my next scrap quilt! Or maybe I'll do both!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have your own field of dreams! That's fantastic. I feel like shagging a few grounders right about now. Which sounds a bit dirty, doesn't it? Ha! I'm loving your quilt, too. That pattern has jumped right to the top of my list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea, a baseball field. Will you all be playing again on Thanksgiving??

    Just like a cat!!! My son's cat (Daisy) loves paper. Her favorite game with paper? Baseball...she was pretty good in her younger days. At 14 she sleeps more than plays.

    How quickly my old mind forgot about your beautiful scrap quilt. I have tons of scraps and have done nothing but look at them and wonder what I could make. Writing this out now so I will not forget again;-)

    blessings, jill

    ReplyDelete
  6. The new quilts block are looking good, and the kitten is sooo cute.
    Hope the boys will have lots of fun on their new field.
    Have a nice day
    KATRIN W.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How wonderful to have your own "field of dreams" all be it with slight adaptations, and how lovely to have that space. From your photos I can see everyone was having a great time.
    I'm loving how your new quilt is progressing. I've decided come December I'm going to restart mine and I'm going to challenge myself to have it finished by May. The fact that it has taken me nigh on 2 years to get to the 9 block stage probably means I won't succeed but I shall be happy if I just get a bit further on with it. Philippa xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! I would love to have that much space out my back and what a great use of the space. Your boys are very lucky indeed- all that fresh air!

    *waves hello* from a new follower, Hazel x

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is so neat!! It should give your son & his friends a place to hang out & keep themselves occupied (let's hope)! I have an 18 yr old son and love it when he & his friends hang out around the neighborhood--it means less chance of them getting into trouble.

    Love the progress on your quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your black sweet cat is amazing.. And Your quilt is amazing too. Extra hard work..:)
    Well In this part of Turkey the winters are not so cold.. Because the city where I live is near the meditteranean sea. But you know I will be retired on this november and I will return near my family. The city where they live is so cold maybe -20 Celcius degrees at winters... These slippers will keep my feet warm.. ( But the real reason why I always make crochet slippers.... is... It cames me very easy..:)) That s the reason..:)))
    Best best wishes...

    ReplyDelete
  11. How cool to have your own baseball diamond! I just love your scrappy quilt!

    ReplyDelete

You guys are awesome! Thank you for the comments!