Saturday, July 23, 2016

Plain Obsession

When I was in Portland last week, my sister and I walked into a posh little boutique on Alder St. to have a look around.  It was the kind of shop that would drain the pocketbook in minutes.  The wares however, were quite beautiful.  Table tops displayed fine gauge cotton tee shirts, soft wool sweaters, wide legged pants, linen napkins, carved wooden candlesticks and large coffee table books.   Most of the clothing they carried were in shades of navy, black, cream and tan.  If you wanted a few nice basic pieces to start a minimalist wardrobe, this was the place to get them.  I fell in love with this little creamer by a local artist and brought it home with me.
I  also spied a quilt on sale for just over $300. It was a color block quilt in cream, black and gray that fit in with the shop's aesthetic. I kept looking at it.  Thinking about it long after we left.  Obsessing about it's plain simple design.  In fact on the train ride home, an Amish (or maybe Mennonite) family joined us in the dining car and their starched white caps, and dark somber clothes reminded me of the quilt again. I couldn't wait to get home and make my own version.
It only took a few days to put together as I already had everything I needed.  And thank goodness.  A trip to the fabric store would have ruined my momentum.  The Lotta Jansdotter fabric I used for the backing has been in my stash for about 2 years. I never wanted to use it because I loved it so much.  Really that makes no sense.  I need to start incorporating these pieces into my projects instead of hoarding it.  It's not doing any good folded up in the cupboard.

Anyway, now I can get back to my WIPs and relax a bit.  Obsession over.

12 comments:

  1. What a beautiful quilt Lynne enhanced by a wonderful story! Your simple photos just add another layer to it! It's funny how inspiration strikes and then we just have to act! Creativity at its finest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can we see a picture of it opened out? It looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go, you used your favourite fabric and created a beautiful quilt.
    Thats inspiration at its best!
    KATRIN W.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness... I REALLY love this one... The simplicity of it is truly elegant! I GET the obsession! Can I have it?????

    ReplyDelete
  5. The backing just does it...if you know what I mean! I think the simplicity of plain colours is relaxing not that I dont like a bit of variety colour wise. Plain seems to be the wrong word to me as there is nothing plain about your beautiful quilt!

    keep well

    Amanda xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks very nice! Very practical quilt--like the Amish it was inspired by ; )

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was just thinking what "crafty in the med" said. How calming the simplicity of the design and colors are. I love your Lotta Jansdotter backing fabric. I would love to see a pic of the whole top. I love what I see already. One of my son's live in Vancouver, WA. and works in portland,OR. so I'll be going there this fall. If near Alder st. I'll look for the shop. I've been collecting names of restaurants,stores etc. Did you have any favorite places? Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a boutique I would love! I really love the simplicity of the little creamer pitcher. And your quilt? Ah! I love it! I wish I knew how to quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  9. For the love of gray, that quilt is gorgeous. Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful quilt! Don't you just love it when you finally find the perfect project for that special fabric you had been saving?

    ReplyDelete
  11. The quilt is lovely and it's wonderful to hear the story behind it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So funny when we have fabrics we love so much it becomes impossible to cut into and use! Looks like you found the perfect solution for yours.:)

    ReplyDelete

You guys are awesome! Thank you for the comments!