Thursday, April 21, 2016

Pretty little thing

A second South Bay Shawlette, this time in an ombre merino fingering yarn from Two Black Sheep on Etsy.  I used an H hook and could not put this down.  Each row slowly bled into that darker berry color and I enjoyed it right to the end.  I added a final row of picot stitches because I wanted to tease out as much of the darker color possible before I ran out of yarn.  Early on I was worried about the colors pooling or looking lopsided like I had spilled my Kool-Aid on it, but it played out beautifully.  I gave it a brief soak before blocking, more like a quick dip really, and it bled a little (yikes!)  When I rolled it in a towel there was no color transfer so all was right in the universe.
Oh and Meredith finished hers (she's fast!), so go take a look at her gorgeous shawl!
Now that that's done, I can get back to some quilting.  I made this top a few weeks ago but haven't got a backing for it yet.

I had this collection of fat quarters (Bari J. for Art Gallery Fabrics I think) sitting around forever, and finally stumbled on a pattern that would suit it. It's basic strip piecing, cutting, then sewing rows.  So easy it almost makes itself.  Finished size is 54 x 70.
Somehow I ended up with 2 of these patterns.  If you would like the extra one (and I will throw in a small stack of 5 inch squares from my stash) leave a comment and I will pick a winner.  If you're a no-reply blogger please add your e-mail address. Thanks for visiting! 

19 comments:

  1. Lovely....I need to get my quilting mojo back! I'm making the same shawl, but I'm not sure one skein is going to be enough. I'm getting nervous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You and Meredith have inspired me. I'm working on a South Bay Shawlette too! This one of yours is TOO DIE FOR GORGEOUS!!! I love the colors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Danette! By the looks of your blog I see you are in a shawl making mood as well! Looking forward to seeing yours.

      Delete
  3. Oh my gosh, the shawl looks like you did a perfect ombre dye to it - fantastic! I always worry about using multi hues, just in case the colour works up all block like.
    The quilt it pretty: I think it would look good with a collection of vintage sheets since the pieces are large enough to show off some of the retro patterns. I am currently making a lonestar quilt for a friend - don't know what I was thinking - so it may be a while before I get my quilting mojo back! Something easy would be good though, with no flipping points to match up!
    Happy days,
    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun quilt.. I have made many Southbay shawls love that pattern

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have yet to see a quilt of yours that I don't love and this one is no exception. And the shawl is really lovely. I love the ombré effect.

    hbomb61@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your quilt! Please draw me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great pattern for showing off bright and big prints! Love your fabrics with the grey solid too! Your shawl is gorgeous!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the quilt, it is simple but a great way to show lovely fabrics. Many greetings aubphg (at) hotmail (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your quilt is beautiful. It may be a simple pattern but it looks gorgeous and very effective. You and Meredith are a bad influence on me, I ended up making a mini South Bay Shawlette this week, just to get it out of my system.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That yarn made a perfect shawl my friend, I love it. The gradual ease from one color to the other is perfect, I feel like ordering that yarn right this second. I can't believe how fast you got it done. Have fun quilting.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm loving the ombre effect of your shawlette, it's worked out perfectly!
    Great quilt top, its amazing how often the most straightforward of shapes can make the most interesting of quilts when the right fabrics are use cleverly.
    Have a great weekend Lynne!
    Gill xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, I love the way your shawl turned out. The colors move perfectly into the darker border. And you finished it so fast, too. Beautiful quilt top, too. I don't know how you do it all.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The shawl is beautiful, and the quilt pattern looks easy. I really like the colors with the gray
    acdiller@verizon.net

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your shawl is lovely, I like the shading of the ombre colors. I also like your quilt top, it will make a nice, cozy quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your shawl almost makes me want to take up crochet again after a break of 40 years... it is gorgeous! It would be fun to see a picture of you wrapped up in this beauty. And I enjoy making Villa Rosa designs. Your top has a feel of Summer to it. Those gray rows and big blocks will make great places for some free motion quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I would love to win the pattern, especially since you said that it goes together really quick. I like the fabrics you used, also. The shawl is very cute with this variegated yarn, I bet that goes together fast too, you have already made some of them.
    KATRIN W.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The shawl is really pretty! The quilt looks sooooo much better in grey than in white! It meant I saw the gorgeous fabrics, rather than the white line!

    ReplyDelete
  18. The shawl is lovely, I have a few shawls as it gets a bit chilly in Wales, I have downloaded the pattern and this will be on my hook this evening. The quilt pattern looks like a perfect way to show off some favourite prints and Charms are my go to precuts.

    ReplyDelete

You guys are awesome! Thank you for the comments!