Friday, March 4, 2016

Birthday quilt


I finished this quilt for my niece two days before her birthday party.  Last month I delivered the Hudson Bay camp blankets to her little boys for their birthdays, and she loved the deer fabric I used and asked if she could have a quilt made up of woodland animals.  I told her where to look online for fabric so she started a Pinterest board.  I then followed her board and was able to find a lot of the fabrics she liked, then added to it from my stash.  Now the three of them have new quilts!  The oldest boy (aged 7) sleeps with his every night.  He told his mom that he wants it underneath the top comforter, in case robbers came into the house, they wouldn't see his quilt and try to steal it.  That's quite a compliment! (or they need to move out of that neighborhood ha ha)
Anyway, Ashley's quilt is made using 6.5 inch squares laid out in a nine patch pattern with 1.5 inch lattice in between.  I think it measures 60 x 64.  It had to be simple and fast, and patchwork always does the trick.
I just started a blanket for my cousin in Canada who is getting ready to have her first baby in April. It's turning out cute so far, and is all from my stash and very scrappy.
Stay tuned.

12 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! Your nephew is sooo adorable! I always hear horrible stories about quilters who give a quilt away and then find out that it's being used as a dog bed or for cleaning off the car. If only we all had nephews like yours...

    ReplyDelete
  2. In case robbers come! That is precious! I love it! So comfy looking!
    XO Kris

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sweet. I just love it when kids truly appreciate a quilt. Melts my heart every time.:) Really like the simple stitching on this quilt too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is lovely, i always adore any quilt with a lot of aqua added. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. So simple and so pretty!
    KATRIN W.

    ReplyDelete
  6. very sweet and I love how 'valuable' it is to the little boy. precious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How sweet that you make all of these lovely quilts for the special people in your life Lynne. Your work is so beautiful. Each one so specific for the person. And I LOVE what the little guy had to say about his... out of the mouths of babes... :-)

    ReplyDelete

  8. That's such a dear and heart warming story from your niece's son. One of my best friends has an adult son who's in his late 20's. When he was born I made a quilt for him and completely forgot about it. So when I was over there once and he was in the midst of moving out she let me peek into a box that had a very worn and faded baby quilt. She said that he folds it up and leaves it under his pillow. The power of the blankie! The quilts that I tend to love the most are simple patchwork and you always turn out such beauties. This quilt is one more example of your handiwork. Just love it.
    Lydia

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love seeing your quilts Lynne and your photography always is a treat too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Okay, the robber/stealing comment is the very best comment you could ever receive. I love it and I LOVE your new quilt, it is perfect.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete

You guys are awesome! Thank you for the comments!