Monday, August 10, 2015

Picnics, books and paper piecing

Friday night we went to Durst Winery and had a picnic.  There was salami, cheese, olives, deviled eggs, bread and fruit and mini pies from the farmers market.  We drank wine and listened to the band and talked until the sun went down and the mosquitoes came out.  It was cool for once and it turned out to be a really nice evening.  Thanks to my sister in law Karen and her guy Gabe for suggesting it and meeting us there.  There are so many great wineries within 20 minutes of our house we really should take advantage of this more often.

I've barely been in the sewing room except to retrieve a pair of scissors or iron a blouse.  I read this book, and now I'm off on a tangent reading about Permaculture, here and here.  If you like to garden, this is heady stuff.  I feel as though everything I have ever learned about gardening is all wrong, and I'm blown away by how simple and natural it can all be.  Who knew.
 I'm shamelessly copying this quilt (scroll down a bit when you get there).  I ran out and bought a few fat quarters to add to my red stash.  I would like something to show for this handwork by Christmas, but who am I kidding.  It's going to be a long slow project, and if I did nothing else, I could maybe have a table runner by the holidays.

Lastly, there has to be a place in my yard for this.  If only I could make a chicken coop like I can make a quilt.  I would have coops all over my yard!  A whole chicken village with flowers and pathways and ponds, maybe some ducks too......... 
Sigh.

I have to go vacuum dog hair.
See ya :)

7 comments:

  1. Sounds like you and I are dreaming about the same things...gardens and chicken coops! I have plenty of time to plan, as I won't be doing any of that until next spring. I'm still on the fence about the chickens. Do I really want to mess with all that? Will it be worth it? I already have five dogs to deal with after all. Have fun with the quilt. We're going to a winery for a garlic festival next weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chickens, quilts and gardening--some of my mom's favorite past-times.:) She used to have a chicken coop she called 'condo's because it was so fancy for her special chickens!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So many interesting things to think about! I've been thinking of chickens too! Thanks for the book recommendations, we are sure headed in that direction! I saw the cutest quilts with chickens and canning jars ..etc, vintage Farmhouse ? I have it on Pinterest I think. I did buy some veggie farming quilt fabric in June. I should do something ! Looks like a lovely evening at the winery!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a funny name for a winery, Durst means thurst in German! It is good to hear that you had a good time and I adore your new EPP project.
    KATRIN W.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The stars and hexagon quilt will be beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my, so much info to look at. Where does one start. Those quilt pieces are looking sharp and crisp. I itch to get back into my piecing and quilting. I have the new Lori Holt book and it is jam packed with so many cute quilt ideas. I have buried myself long enough in the yarn pile and still haven't burned myself out quite yet. Oh chickens, more work but lots of fun too. I have seen so many darling coops on Pinterest and round about blogger land. I stopped the other day to buy some fresh brown eggs from a gal who lives on the state route I travel to go visit my mom. She has a sweet little coop and an interesting way to buy her eggs. It is the honor system, she has a small dorm fridge on her porch and a sign saying that the price of a dozen went by the L,M,S on the end of the carton. There was a lock box with a slit in the top for the $. There was just one dozen of eggs in the fridge, the carton had an L marked on the end of the lid, those were $2 and so I left the money in the lock box and took the eggs. I left her a present though, 6 empty egg cartons for her to keep for the next batches of eggs. The winery sounds like it was fun, the food sounds good too. Hope your week is going well. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.
    (((HUGS))) Susanne :)

    ReplyDelete

You guys are awesome! Thank you for the comments!