Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Warm ups

 


My oldest daughter teaches 3rd grade, and in the morning she hands out "warm-ups", half sheets of paper with a few math problems or vocabulary words.  Something quick to occupy the class while they settle in.  My crafting lately has consisted of warm -ups.  It's been a while since I've flung myself headlong into a pile of fabric to make a large quilt, and that's okay.  When I'm ready I'll know it.

Lately it's been all about smallish makes, portable knitting or crochet.  Easy projects to keep my crafty muscles flexed, requiring minimal mess or time on my part.  Like the long pincushion above.  I always wanted one to lay at the base of my sewing machine, so I whipped this one up with scraps of bark cloth, linen and Liberty fabric.  When the middle daughter came back from a visit to the State Fair this summer, she proudly presented me with a small bag of wool from the sheep shearing.  It still had dirt and sticks in it.  I swear my kids get me. Anyway I stuffed it into the pincushion, so now it has extra magical powers.   

There is an abundance of rosemary, thyme and sage in my garden right now, so I cut the plants back real hard and have them drying upstairs in the loft on pieces of paper towel.  I always save small glass spice jars and those have been cleaned and ready to fill with this years herbs.  Then I ordered lavender, wormwood (repels moths), dried orange peel and mint from Mountain Rose herbs to blend with my rosemary.  To this I added sweet orange essential oil, and I stuffed the concoction into sachets made with vintage cotton and some recycled linen from an old skirt of mine.  There's a tutorial on Purl Bee if you want to make some for yourself.  I cut into some Liberty fat quarters, and those will be sewn next.
Ginny made some here, and sold them in her shop.  They lasted all of about 5 seconds and sold out.  I wasn't quick enough to buy any, so figured I might as well make my own.  Done.

10 comments:

  1. I love the herb sachets and pin cushion. I make lots of quick things because I recently went back to work and rarely get time for long sessions any more, so a least I get the joy of finishing something. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. What gorgeous little projects,Lynne. The long pin cushion is beautiful. I love the idea of warm ups. Quite often I don't feel like tackling a big project, so I shall copy your idea and think small.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea of 'warm ups' Lynne! Sometimes I think I go for weeks just doing warm ups! But yours are particularly lovely- both the herb pouches and the pincushion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lots of lovely stuff - how fab that your pincushion has love and magical powers inside!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love all your little makes. The pin cushion is gorgeous. Your warm ups are so much better than Maths!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely little projects my friend.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am not worried at all, sometimes we do small projects but I am sure that you will make another big quilt as soon as inspiration strikes. I like the long pincushion it looks so nice in front of the old sewing machine!
    KATRIN W.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ain't it the truth? But those warm ups can be the sweetest little things so don't worry a bit.:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aw, yum! Those little Liberty sachets are so lovely. :)

    ReplyDelete

You guys are awesome! Thank you for the comments!